Yesterday I did the most I’ve done in a month! Too bad I forgot to bring my camera for most of it. My family came up to visit, and we went to the farmer’s market, which is in full swing. It was kind of funny watching my aunt, who couldn’t comprehend why anyone would go to a farmer’s market. She actually asked the milkman – “Is that milk in bottles?” He answered nicely, “yes, milked and bottled on our farm.” I think she couldn’t comprehend that 🙂
- 1/2 gallon apple cider from Migliorelli Farm (amazing how there’s still some left from last year’s crop!)
- 1/2 gallon low-fat milk from Battenkill Creamery
- 2 hydroponic tomatoes from….I forget
- 1lb processed chicken cutlets from Cooper’s Ark Farm (this was the first time we found processed chicken for a good price!)
- 8oz. pesto from Buddhapesto (OMG, this was the most delicious pesto I’ve ever tried. It was made fresh that morning!)
- 1lb fresh mozzarella cheese from another place I forget (my brain is so not functioning lately)
- 1 french baguette from Our Daily Bread
- 2 ears of corn from Barber Farm
- 1 quart of local plums (even though only 2 shown in picture) from Maynard Farm
We came home and had pesto with the french baguette and fresh mozzarella with tomato and basil (from my basil plant). All of it local. How awesome is that?
Later, in the heat of the day, we went to the garden and everyone except me helped weed. The garden is in shambles. Our tomato plants never got tied to the stakes, and the sugarsnap peas are a tangled mess that are leaning over into the golden chard. If I were better, I’d go over there now and get it all sorted out, but I am not strong enough yet for it 😦 There was only one new zucchini this week, which didn’t look very good so we left it to rot. We picked some more sugar snap peas, and the garlic scapes (which are a little past prime I think, oh well). K mulched as well. We were there for quite a bit of time, I think I over did it, even though I basically just sat there in a chair and watched – but the sun was quite heavy. Had a bad night as a result, but even so, I think I am getting better.
I’m going to try to get some laundry done today…if I can lift it. I don’t know if it’s still too much for me.
On a political note, I am obsessed with the Sotomayor hearings this week. I can’t explain it, and I can’t get into it politically. I’m Puerto Rican, darn it, and I’m taking untrue statements about her personally. That’s all I can say about it. For now 🙂