As you could see in one of the pictures from yesterday’s post, there was lots to buy at the Farmer’s Market yesterday. I stocked up with the bounty of the season to eat locally all week and then some!
- 2 eggplant, 1 bunch of basil, 2 ears sweet corn, 1 bunch cilantro from Barber Farm
- 1 half gallon reduced-fat milk, 1 pint chocolate milk from Battenkill Creamery
- 1 dozen large eggs, 1.35lbs chicken from Coopers Ark
- 1lb fresh mozzarella from R&G cheese
- 1 quart Ginger Gold apples and 1 pint apricots from Maynard Farm
- 1 sticky bun from Our Daily Bread
- 1 bunch of bunching onions from Migliorelli Farm
Our menu for this week (we try to plan 5 meals as we have leftovers usually):
- Lamb Chops with Mint-Mustard Sauce (Meat from 8 O’Clock Ranch)
- Brown Rice (non-local rice)
- Carrots and Beans (from the garden)
- Organic pizza with local cheese and garden tomatoes
- Barbecued chicken with locally-made BBQ sauce (meat from Coopers Ark)
- Sweet corn (from Barber)
- Swiss chard (from the garden)
- Eggplant parmigiana (all ingredients from farmer’s market and garden)
- Whole wheat pasta (non-local)
- Homemade pesto sauce
And tonight I’m whipping up some apricot sorbet to have for dessert all week! Pictures and recipe to come later.
I’m trying to make more of an effort to post our weekly menus, especially in the middle of the summer when there’s lots to choose from. I still struggle with coming up with a mostly local menu each week though. I found myself actually searching the Internet before the market this week to get some inspiration – especially vegetarian local recipes. K doesn’t like stir fry, which I would make a staple in my household if it were up to me.
Filed under: Uncategorized |